UPDATE: General Mills, owner of the Betty Crocker brand, is recalling two products sold in the U.S. and one sold in Canada. Both Betty Crocker Delights Super Moist Party Rainbow Chip Cake Mix (a.k.a. Better Crocker Delights Super Moist Rainbow Bit Cake Mix in Canada) and Betty Crocker Delights Super Moist Carrot Cake Mix have been pulled from shelves due to the presence of General Mills flour that was previously recalled for E.coli contamination.
A full list of affected General Mills products, along with identification numbers and best used by dates, can be found here. Call 1-800-526-4579 if you have more questions or concerns.
Due to a 20-state E. coli outbreak and 38 reported illnesses, it was just announced that General Mills issued a nationwide recall for three brands of all-purpose flour, totaling an estimated 10 million pounds.
Sold at Safeway, Albertsons, Jewel, Shaws, Vons, United, Randalls, and Acme, the affected brands at the moment are Gold Medal branded, Gold Medal Wondra branded, and Signature Kitchens branded flours. A full list of products and identification numbers can be found below:
- 13.5-ounce Gold Medal Wondra — Package UPC 000-16000-18980; Better if Used by Dates 25FEB2017 thru 30MAR2017
- 2-pound Gold Medal All Purpose Flour — Package UPC 000-16000-10710; Better if Used by Dates 25MAY2017KC thru 03JUN2017K
- 5-pound Gold Medal All Purpose Flour — Package UPC 000-16000-10610; Better if Used by Dates 25MAY2017KC, 27MAY2017KC thru 31MAY2017KC, 01JUN2017KC, 03JUN2017KC thru 05JUN2017KC, 11JUN2017KC thru 14JUN2017KC
- 10-pound Gold Medal All Purpose Flour — Package UPC 000-16000-10410; Better if Used by Dates 02JUN2017KC,03JUN2017KC
- 10-pound Gold Medal All Purpose Flour Banded Pack — Package UPC 000-16000-10410; Better if Used by Dates 03JUN2017KC, 04JUN2017KC, 05JUN2017KC
- 5-pound Gold Medal Unbleached Flour — Package UPC 000-16000-19610; Better if Used by Dates 25MAY2017KC, 27MAY2017KC, 03JUN2017KC, 04JUN2017KC
- 5-pound Signature Kitchens All Purpose Flour Enriched Bleached — Package UPC 000-21130-53001; Better if Used by Dates BB MAY 28 2017
- 5-pound Signature Kitchens Unbleached Flour All Purpose Enriched —Package UPC 000-21130-53022; Better if Used by Dates BB MAY 27 2017
- 2-pound Gold Medal Self Rising Flour — Package UPC 000-16000-11710; Better if Used by Dates 23AUG2016KC
An on-going investigation regarding E. coli O121 has been going on since Dec. 21st, 2015. Causing dehydration, cramps, and/or (bloody) diarrhea, this potentially life-threatening bacteria is particularly severe for very young people, the elderly, and pregnant women. For more information, call 800-230-8103 or visit General Mills consumer relations.