Macaroni and cheese is the epitome of comfort food, it just makes people feel good! We love it, but what we don’t love is having to boil the milk, mix in various cheeses and scrape the bottom of the saucepan to keep the cheese from burning. This slow cooker recipe eliminates all of that and we added more cheese (always a good thing), so you still get a molten cheese dish without all the hassle. This mac and cheese is great for easy family dinners or parties, since you can serve it immediately or keep it on warm in case (read: when) people come back for seconds; you’ll be blown away by how much people love it!
Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
- 1 box (16 oz.) cooked elbow macaroni (or shells, spiral pasta, etc.)
- 1/2 stick butter, cubed
- 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated, plus extra for garnish
- 1 cup romano cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- cooking spray
- Spray a 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Place cooked macaroni in slow cooker and add butter. Stir until butter is melted.
- Add evaporated and whole milk, parmesan, romano, cheddar cheese, nutmeg, and salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours. Stir well and sprinkle with parmesan and another dash of nutmeg, and serve hot.Tip: If you don't have a slow cooker, put pasta, milk and cheeses in a large baking dish and bake for 50 minutes at 350º F.
Recipe adapted from the Brown-Eyed Baker